Music Video Case Study

Music Video Case Study

I have chosen to do the 4th pair of music videos. This consists of:- Tinie Tempah, Jess Glynne: Not Letting Go- Paloma Faith: Picking Up The Pieces


Not Letting Go

Not letting go is a song by an English rapper - Tinie Tempah - and also features vocals from, Jess Glynne. It was released on the 19th of June 2015 and is a hip hop and funk genre song. 'Not Letting Go' samples the song, 'Not For Long' by an American rapper, B.o.B but also contains a sample from, 'There's a Better Way' - a song from 1982. It was also in 1st place in the Uk's singles Official Charts on the 28th June 2015. This got 600,000 certified sales based on its platinum rating in the UK. It finished 36th in the year end charts.

Picking Up The Pieces

Picking Up The Pieces is a song by the English recording artist, . It came out on the 18th May 2012. It came at number 7 in the UK charts in 27th May 2012. It is a pop, soul genre. It was recorded in 2011.




Key:
Mulvey (female gender): ___
Gauntlett (alpha male): ___
Mackillon (men as sexual objects): ___
Hall (rebellious youth): ___
Osgerby (fun youth): ___
S.Hall 1981 (race as social problem): ___
Butch (class - well intentioned but dumb): ___
Implicit Info: Hello

Not Letting Go

[Verse 1: Tinie Tempah]
Yes, ah, yo

Yeah, ready for the summer, girl, your hair look killer
See your batty getting bigger but your waist looks slimmer

And I hope I'm still with you when your hair get thinner
I ain't gotta work it out, I know I'm on to a winner
And I love it when I see you sing a song in the mirror
When you play your favourite records where there ain't no filler

Chicky-cha chicky-chicky-cha, Sade, J Dilla
Now I'm on the right track, went from a train to a limo
Now we on the right track (right track), yeah (right track)

Used to know me back in college, now I got it like that
Could've gotten sidetracked, now I'm back on my feet
If I hadn't achieved, would you pack up and leave?

Now you're scratchin' on me like we're Adam and Eve
Playing remix to Ignition in the back of the Jeep, ah
She like the hook but she don't know the verse

She know I love her even if I never say the words


[Hook: Jess Glynne + (Tinie Tempah)]
You were something I can't replace
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger (aha)

I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go

You were something I can't replace
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger (aha)
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go



[Post-Hook: Jess Glynne]
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh, go-oh-oh oh oh
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh, go-oh-oh oh oh
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go


[Verse 2: Tinie Tempah]
Yeah, yeah
Livin' in a bubble, we ain't struggling in life
Ready for your trouble and a couple of fights
Why don't you stay over here and keep me up in the night

And when you're comin' in here, I'll do it just like you like

Girl I'm ready for your lovin', girl I keep on falling
You my lucky number that I keep on calling
Wanna never let me go, she said she fed up of tourin'

Because I kiss her in the night and I then leave in the mornin'
I tell her one, already know she the one
She 22, we in Le Fontainebleau
And when she free, you know she call on me

And then I make her take it off and pull it all on me
Playin' in the sheets, don't sleep tonight

Playin' R. Kelly, I Believe I Can Fly, yeah
She like the hook but she don't know the verse
She know I love her even if I never say the words


[Hook: Jess Glynne + (Tinie Tempah)]
You were something I can't replace
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger (aha)
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go

You were something I can't replace
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger (aha)
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go



[Post-Hook: Jess Glynne + (Tinie Tempah)]
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh, go-oh-oh oh oh
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh (no I don't wanna let you go), go-oh-oh oh oh
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go

[Bridge: Tinie Tempah & Jess Glynne]
Yo, oi my size, I see you're quite shy

Guess I'm a sucker for those nice eyes
I ain't in it for the money or the fame
I'm the one that all the honeys couldn't tame, yo I changed
Oh no, you make my heart work
You make me stronger

You know I changed
This thing we have
It can't be bought or sold, now


[Hook: Jess Glynne + (Tinie Tempah)]
You were something I can't replace (yeah)
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger (makin' me strong)
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go
You were something I can't replace
You made my heart work (aha)
You make me stronger
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go


[Post-Hook: Jess Glynne + (Tinie Tempah)]
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh (no I don't wanna let you go), go-oh-oh oh oh
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go (you already know)
Oh-oh-oh oh oh, oh-oh-oh oh oh (no I don't wanna let you go), go-oh-oh oh oh (no I don't wanna let you go)
I'm not letting go, I'm not letting go








Picking Up The Pieces





Do you think of her
When you're with me?

Repeat the memories you made together
Whose face do you see?
Do you wish I was a bit more like her?
Am I too loud?
I play the clown
To cover up all these doubts


Perfect heart
She's flawless
She's the other woman
Shining in her splendor
You were lost


But now she's gone
And I'm picking up the pieces
I watch you cry
But you don't see that I'm the one by your side
'Cause she's gone
In her shadow is it me you see?
'Cause all that's left is you and I
And I'm picking up the pieces she left behind

I found a photograph behind the TV
You looked so happy are you missing the way it used to be?
And I have changed this room around more often lately
It's clear that we
And these four walls
Still know it's hers and yours.

Perfect heart
She's flawless
She's the other woman
Shining in her splendor
You were lost


But now she's gone
And I'm picking up the pieces
I watch you cry
But you don't see that I'm the one by your side

'Cause she's gone
In her shadow is it me you see?
'Cause all that's left is you and I
And I'm picking up the pieces she left behind

Are we liars in denial?
Are we smoke without the fire?
Tell me please is this worth it?
I deserve it

'Cause she's gone
And I'm picking up the pieces
I watch you cry
But you don't see that I'm the one by your side
'Cause she's gone
In her shadow is it me you see?
'Cause all that's left is you and I
And I'm picking up the pieces
She left behind



PEE Paragraphs

How is sound used to represent/attract a target audience?


Diegetic and non-diegetic sound is used in the song, 'Not Letting Go' by both Tinie Tempah and Jess Glynne to represent and attract the target audience (15-24 year olds, straight, white or black British/American, C1-E males and females) in anumber of ways.

Firstly, young females are represented as erotic objects to attract the target audience. "See your batty getting bigger but your waist looks slimmer" Is use of Mulvey's theory that women are used as erotic objects due to the focus of the women in question's body parts that pleases the male eye. This is used to attract the target audience of males towards the females by using women as 'erotic objects of desire for males on screen or in the audience' (quote from Laura Mulvey's theory of female stereotypes).


Young males are also represented as sexual objects to attract the target audience. "Girl I'm ready for your lovin', girl I keep on falling" shows that the male (Tinie Tempah) is 'taunting' or 'asking' for the woman. This is use of Mackillon's theory that men are objects of desire for women. This theory is emphasised futher in the song where the main singer, Tinie Tempah flirts with the other female singer showing himself off as an erotic object for the woman, 'Males are now shown as sexual objects of desire who are more concerned with their image'.



Diegetic and non-diegetic sound is used in the song, 'Picking Up The Pieces' by Paloma Faith to represent and attract the target audience (24-30 year old, straight, white British/American C1-E females and sometimes males) in a number of ways.


Firstly, young females are represented as objects of desire to attract the target audience of both genders (male as objects of desire and females as something to look up to). "She's flawless She's the other woman Shining in her splendour" shows off the female character in the song as beautiful, elegant and as an object of desire. This is use of Mulvey's theory that, 'Women are used as objects of desire for males on screen and in the audience'. This theory is shown at large within this song and in the quote.

Images To Support Theories

Not Letting Go Tinie Tempah




This image supports Laura Mulvey's theory that women are used as erotic objects for men.





This image supports Mackillon's theory about men being erotic objects for women.





Picking Up The Pieces


This image supports Laura Mulvey's theory of women being used as erotic objects. This also supports the stereotype of women that they are like a damsel in distress.






This image supports Gauntlett's theory that traditional male stereotypes are portrayed as alpha males. This shot makes the male subject look like a wealthy alpha male.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🎥 Movie Pitch 🎥

Terminology And Stuff (paper 1)